Friday, May 31, 2013

Water Ch. 102 - Starting All Over Again


 
Guests were shuttled from nearby parking lots to the house, in an effort to hide the fact that anyone was at Jon's house.  There were no decorations on the outside, front of the house, the party was in tents on the back lawn.  Mrs B had the place looking absolutely breathtaking.  Candles, lights, balloons and streamers were everywhere and anyone that was anyone important; to the Bongiovi's, was going to be there. 
 
Beth and Tammy landed and headed to the Molly Pritcher, to get ready to cross the river and attend Matt's birthday party.  Mrs. B had called Beth last night and ask that she arrive early, she needed to talk to her, so Beth obliged.  They got ready, primped what needed to be primped, and headed over to Jon's house. 
 
Arriving at Jon's house, Beth had forgotten that Tammy had never been here, so she was a little irked by the way she was acting.  She would look at Tammy like, "Are you for real?  You've never seen a TV come out of the floor?"  Tammy was sheltered and common.  Houses like Jon's are often seen by many, and Beth needed to remember that.  Taping her assistants elbow, she says, "I'll give you a tour later.  I'm sure Jon won't mind."
 
"Oh, I would love that."  her assistant responds, as Mrs B approaches them. 
 
Beth sees her and smiles.  They hug and Mrs. B steps back, with her hands on Beth's arms and asks, "How are you dear?"
 
"I'm great, Mrs. B.  How are you?"
 
"Didn't I tell you to call me mom?  I'm fine dear.  Now who is this?"  Pointing to Tammy.
 
"Mrs. Bongiovi, this is my assistant Tammy.  Tammy this is Jon's mom, Mrs. Bongiovi."  The two women shake hands and Tammy cannot believe where she is.
 
In awe, Tammy says, "It's a pleasure to meet you Mrs. Bongiovi."
 
"The pleasure is all mine, dear.  Please call me Mrs.B.  Ladies, follow me.  Beth I need to give you something."  And she turns and leads both women to Jon's office. 
 
Once inside, Tammy looses interest in anything Mrs. B had to say.  She was distracted by all of the cool things that Jon had, and to top it all off, she was in Jon Bon Jovi's personal office, in his house. 
 
Mrs. B paid no mind to the star struck assistant gawking at all of Jon's things, it was all safe and Tammy wouldn't do anything to any of it.  It kind of made her laugh, she doesn't see that up close to often anymore.
 
Pointing to a chair, across the desk, Mrs. B says, "Sit, please."  Beth sits in the leather wing back chair and glances around the room.  Behind Mrs. B is a black and white photograph that Beth hadn't seen before.  It was a picture of her and Jon.  A picture of them on the yacht.  They were standing on the deck, over looking the bow with the sunset behind them,  It had to have been taken by paparazzi in a helicopter.  But Beth doesn't recall seeing one.  She loves the picture, she wants the picture.  She'll have to ask Jon for a copy of the picture.
 
Mrs. B get her attention and Beth apologizes for getting distracted.  Mrs. B laughs and says,  "That's a beautiful picture, isn't it?  I see my son standing behind you, with his arms around you so tight and I can see how much he loves you - just from a picture.  I love it.  And he loves you."
 
Beth smiles, "I love him too.  So much.  I do want a copy of the picture, it is gorgeous.  I don't remember pictures even being taken while we were out there."
 
Mrs. B knows that she is in a time crunch, guests will arrive shortly and she needs to be on her A game, so she gets right to business.  "Beth, it's obvious how my son feels about you, and I for the first time ever agree with his choice of mate, I want you to know that.  I didn't want him to marry that Dorothea, but there was nothing I could do.  I know that without her, I wouldn't have the wonderful grand kids that I do, but that's not what we're here for."  She gets up and grabs her purse off the table that sits in front of the window.  With purse in hand, she sits back down in Jon's chair and proceeds to take out some paperwork.  Neatly stapled together, several pages on crisp white paper - she hands it to Beth.  As she hands it to her, she says, "This is from me and dad.  It's for you, Jon and all 5 kids.  This is to be your happy place." 
 
 Beth opens the paper and sees that it's the title/deed to a house, in upstate New York.  She looks at Mrs. B and says, "You shouldn't have, you didn't need to....."  And Beth starts to cry.
 
Mrs. B knows they aren't tears of sadness, cause she can see the smile on Beth's face still, so she adds, "It's far enough out in the middle of nowhere that cell reception sucks and there isn't any cable television.  So when you go to your happy place, all of you can truly be happy."   With those words out of her mouth,  Mrs. B can finally see how unhappy her son has been all these years.  "Honey, he loves you more than anything.  I hope you realize that.  You have stolen his heart, his mind, his soul and obviously his body."  And she chuckles.
 
"Mom, does he know that you did this?"  Beth is referring to the deed to the house in upstate. 
 
Mrs. B shakes her head no and says, "I'll let you tell him.  Maybe you guys can go up there tomorrow?'  And there is the meddling, good intention mother in law.  "I'm only playing dear.  But, I want you to know,  no matter what happens between you and Jon, the house is yours and the babies.  I wanted you to have a place to go, where you can be alone if you - but still close."  She smiles at Beth, hoping that she can see that she really does care for her and that she plans to be active in Jon and Beth's baby's life. 
 
Beth gets up and walks around Jon's desk and hugs Mrs. B.  "Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.  I can't wait to go see it."  She says to Mrs. B and her thoughts go to the way the motherly hug feels.  It's been years since she's had a parental hug, and she missed it.  It reminds her how important it is to have both parents in a child's life.  Whether the mother and father are together, they both need to be actively involved.
 
"It's the least I could ever do for you.  You gave my son his spark back, for that, I am in your debt.  His spark and his zest for life have returned and I haven't seen that in years.  He is my Jonny again, and I can't even begin to tell you what that means to me."  They break the embrace and Mrs. B sees the time.  "Oh dear, I have to go.  You stay here.  I'm sorry, we got carried away....the plan is, you stay here until Jon starts singing Happy Birthday to Matty.  When he starts, you come out." 
 
"Why when Matt starts?  And why am I a surprise?  This is Matt's day."  Beth says, concerned for Matt, knowing that Mrs.B's plan will take the attention off of Matt, and put it on Jon and Beth. 
 
Taking her hand and motioning like she's shooing away a fly, Mrs. B tells Beth, "Matt will be happy that you did it.  It was his idea.  I told him you were coming and this is his plan."  Still shuffling backwards, she asks Beth and her star struck assistant if she can get them something.  They both decline and Mrs. B takes her exit and greets her guests.
 
Guests arrive, by the shuttle full and many with large gifts and big coats.  Hiding in Jon's office, Beth is actually worried that he might show up and catch her in there.  That would be her luck.  She can hear loud voices, kids running and the chatter of people just talking.  A while later, she head the sound of silver wear hitting a glass..........indicating that someone is wanting to make a toast.  Beth goes over to the window and can see Tony standing up preparing to toast his brother.  Beth can see that Matt is very embarrassed would rather a toast not be happening, but it is a party.
 
Tony wishes his brother birthday wishes and announces that Jon has decided to sing him happy birthday.  "Ladies and gentleman, family and friends today my little brother gets another year older and probably another inch taller.  Yada yada yada...please help me, and the family in wishing Matt a happy birthday.  Jon is honored to sing Matt his birthday song, so please give Jon a round of applause."  And the guests clap their hands and welcome Jon, who had not been mingling with guests until now.  He brought Matt to the house, the guests greeted Matt with SURPRISE and Jon disappeared over to the Shoe Inn.
 
Beth gets into position, waiting for the cue.  Jon's office door, to the yard, is on the left of the makeshift stage.  There is a microphone and a small amplifier.  Jon was solo today.
 
She's not sure if it's nerves that is making her sick to her stomach, if it's all the different smells from the catered food or is it morning sickness?  For a moment she is distracted, and then she hears his voice.  She is paralyzed, unable to walk.  She's thinking, "Oh shit, I have to get out there."  She shakes it off and opens the door.  Stepping out, Romeo sees her and hollers, "Bef!"  And he runs to her, just as Jon starts with 'Happy Birthday' 
 
Seeing his son run to the direction of the house, Jon looks over to the open door and sees the love of his life.  He's unable to sing another sound.  His shock turns to smile and his smile to nervous laughter.  He cannot believe what he is seeing.  She's here.  She came to him.
Microphone in hand, he is at a speed walk to her, but Romeo got there first.  Jon would have to wait his turn.
 
Kneeling down, Beth gives Romeo a big hug and kisses his cheek.  Beth can see the guests with their cameras out and her thought is, 'This isn't going to be good.'  When Romeo has had his fill of hugs and kisses, she stands and greets her rockstar. 
 
 All she has to say is "HI."
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Mrs. B's gift to Beth was very touching. The woman obviously knows her son well.
    Oh, and the pic above just about made my heart stop. Holy mama that is sexy as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that! I am a little surprised Mrs B isn't a little more standoffish but I know she truly loves her son so not surprising she would find a way to get Beth there.

    ReplyDelete