Monday, May 6, 2013

Water Ch. 84 - Glad All Over

 
Dressed in her 'Sunday best', Beth gets ready to head to the doctor to have her cast removed.  She's quite excited about it, since she will now be able to sit in a hot bath and relax.  It's not something that she does often, but since she broke her leg and ankle - that's all she could think about.  The air cast she'll be getting is only to be worn when she's walking.  She is almost in heaven.

 
The drive to the doctors office doesn't take long.  When she walked in, they were expecting her.  They called her right back into a room, and took a quick set of vitals.  The nurse gives her hospital clothes to put on so that the flying plaster didn't get on her clothes and possibly ruin them.  The nurse gives her a few minutes to change and then comes back with the doctor.  "Hello, I'm Dr, Marshall.  I'll be taking your cast off today." They shake hands.
 
"Hi, I'm Beth Adams."
 
All the tools needed to remove her cast are there and on a sterilized tray, wrapped in blue paper.
Removing the packaging from the tools, the doctor tells Beth, "Once I get this off, I want to get a picture or two to see if this has healed properly.  Is there any chance you may be pregnant?"  Beth went from looking at the doctor, to looking right through him. 
 
That was a thought that never entered her mind.  All she could tell him was the truth.  "I don't know." and her heart is now comfortably sitting in her stomach. 
 
"We'll get a test before we do the Xray, just to be safe." He says as he starts the saw to remove the cast off of Beth's leg and ankle.  While he's taking it off, he's trying to make small talk and Beth is in another world. 
 
She would answer his questions, but she always asked, "What?"  She had tuned him out.  She's thinking to herself, why have Jon and I never talked about this?  Why haven't we been safe and used protection?  Oh my God, I never gave it a thought.  She now has a lump in her throat.
 
The cast is off and the nurse washes Beth's leg and foot with soap and water and rubs lotion on it, to get the circulation sped up a bit.  When she's has the lotion rubbed in, the doctor finds the best air cast that will fit Beth.  Deciding that the youth large is the best fit, that's what he wraps on her leg and around her ankle.  He has Beth stand and apply pressure.  She does, and she tells the doctor that her pain is tolerable, not too bad.  He instructs her to walk, and she does just fine.
 
"Alright, great." Pointing to a door, he says, "That's the bathroom, there are urine specimen cups in there.  Please give us a clean catch."
 
Beth takes a deep breath and nods okay.  She went in, peed in the cup as instructed and gave it to the nurse.  She walked over to the counter and pulled out the container that held the pregnancy test strips and dipped it in Beth's urine.  It went to purple, immediately.  The nurse turned around, looking at Beth she says, "Congratulations.  You're pregnant."  Beth about passed out.  Dragging her bum leg, she had to get to the chair and sit down.  She's shaking her head no no no no.
 
Dr. Marshall looked at her and said, "When was your last menstrual period, Miss Adams?"  Beth has to think about it, so much has gone one in the last several weeks.
 
With her best recollection, she says, "Maybe 5 weeks ago."  Yeah, she remembers now.  She arrived in the Bahama's at the end of it, counting on her fingers - the week with her brain bleed, and home for the last 3 week without Jon.  "Yeah, about 5 weeks ago.  So, I'm just pregnant."  Her heart is beating so fast and so hard, what is she going to do?
 
"Well, based on the test we just did, I'm not comfortable giving you an xray, even with the lead shield.  I'll send you down for a CT scan instead.  Milinda, (the nurse) could you please call down to CT and have them get Miss Adams in ASAP?"
 
"Yes, doctor.  No problem.  Excuse me, I'll be right back." Milinda excuses herself and leaves, to get Beth set for a CT scan.
 
Dr. Marshall takes the opportunity to tell Beth that her expected due date is late April.  Your OB/GYN will give you a better date when you go see him or her." he smiles, and he can see the terror on her face; but doesn't pry.  He stands to leave and tells her, "I'll be back when your scan results are in, okay."
 
Beth just nods her head yes, reaching into her purse to get her cell phone out to call Jon. She's pulled up his contact but she can't press call. All she can do is sit there in shock. And she can't tell him this over the phone. Thinking to herself, 'Oh my God, what am I gonna do. I can't have a baby. I just made VP...." She sat there and lost her self in the sound of the air conditioning, that gave her a slight chill.

There was a knock at the door and then it was opened. Milinda said, "It's time for your scan, do you want a wheel chair?" Beth thought that was a good idea, she knows she can't make it walking. So Milinda turns to go get Beth a wheel chair. When she returns with it, Beth gets in and settles down for her ride. On the way down she asks Milinda, "Are CT scans really okay for the baby?"


Milinda taps her shoulder, knowing that she's pretty stressed and says, "Yes dear, they are perfectly safe. We just need to peek at you leg and ankle. Quick in and out."

Beth gets her scan and is wheeled back to the cold and empty room she had left. Sitting there alone she thinks to herself, "What else could happen to me?" She has no idea how Jon is even going to take the news, she's not even sure how well she's handling the news. Beth is going to be a mommy.

There's another knock at the door and then Dr. Marshall walks in holding what looks like X-ray film. "Good news, both fractures are pretty much healed, we just need you to take it easy for a few more week. No running, biking, hiking or anything to stress those bones. Here's a script for prenatal vitamins, to get your through to when you see your OB/GYN."

Beth takes the script and says, "Thanks for everything Dr. Marshall. I really appreciate it."   She reaches out to shake his hand.

He replies to her manners and says, "It's my pleasure. I recommend wearing that air soft cast for about 2 weeks. After that, you should be fine."  And he exits the room.

Beth gets dressed, trying very hard to fight the urge to vomit and cry at the same time.  She has never been this stresses.  "Oh my God, what am I go am I gonna do?",  Is all she kept thinking. When she's gathered herself and her things, she leaves the cold room that now holds one of her most precious memories, and checks out.  Paying her co pay and thanking everyone, she leaves in a daze, in a deep daze.

The drive home seemed to take forever, and she can't think of one reason that she might hurry to get home.  Maybe she'll feel better at home, but home is the last place she wants to go.  She sees a Starbucks up ahead and decides she'll stop and get a coffee, and as soon as she had that thought, she also had, "I can't have caffeine.  What am I going to do?"

Driving down Hollywood Boulevard, she sees Amanda's studio and decides she'll stop and see her best friend, best friend of 20 years.  Parking her car, she looks in he rear view mirror, double checking her light makeup.  She looks like she has just seen a ghost.  Amanda will know something is up.  Beth is certain of that.  She grabs her Prada and heads into Amanda's studio.

The bells on the door alerted Amanda that someone had just walked in .  He studio was small, but for what she was using the space for was perfect.  Amanda designed two things; purses and shirts.  The store smells of white lilac, a very inviting calming scent and the place looks amazing.  Amanda has the lighting set perfectly and Beth can see that 100% of Amanda goes into each and every display.  Amanda is amazingly talented and she truly loves what she does.  The bells caused Amanda to turn and see who it is, and when she sees that it's Beth, with a slight limp, she runs right over to her.  "Oh my gosh, how are you?"  Amanda asks her best friend.  They hug and kiss one another on the cheek.

Beth takes a step back and tells Amanda, "I'm good, how are you?"  Beth is hoping that Amanda doesn't see the line of bullshit that she's feeding her.

"I'm good, what brings you by?  I'm so happy to see you.  I planned on stopping over this weekend, since I missed dinner on Wednesday."

"I was driving by, on my way home from the doctor's office so I thought I'd drop by.  Not ready to go home yet.  What's been going on?'  Beth hold up her leg, "Look I got my cast off."  she's smiling about that.  She loves the freedom she now has.

"Did the doctor say everything healed properly?  Did they get a picture of it, to double check?"

Beth laughs, "Everything is fine.  I just need to wear this hing when I walk.  Other than that, I'm pregnant."  And she waits to see if Amanda caught it.  And she did.

Covering her mouth, "Are you really?  What does Jon say?"  Amanda knows all the struggles that Jon and Beth are going through.  If Beth didn't call her and keep her update, Jon did.

"He doesn't know, you're the first person I told.  I just left the doctor." Beth looks for a reaction and Amanda's face is slowly lighting up. 

"What do you think he's going to say or do?"  Amanda really has no idea hat or how Jon would feel about this.  They have only met a few times and the conversations never got too personal.  But from what she's learned from Beth, he's going to be thrilled.

Beth smiles, lets out a little giggle and says, "He's going to be so excited, you have no idea."  And that thought right there, Beth needed to keep, front and center.  She knows that Jon will be happy, it's just the timing that sucks.  But she chalks it up to some more Jonny and Beth luck.  "I just don't know when and how I'm going to tell him."

Amanda starts to rattle off ideas for Beth to use for the 'we're having a baby' announcement, and Beth hears her, but not much is sinking in.  She has the worst case of butterflies and the worst case of fear she's ever had.  She shakes her head and says, "We need to change the subject.  This is driving me crazy."  Amanda hugs her and just says, "You're going to be a wonderful mother."  Beth hadn't looked at the situation like that.  More butterflies, and more anxiety.

"I'm going to be a mommy.  Oh my God, I'm going to be a mommy."  She is beaming ear to ear and starts to do a little happy dance.  "Wow.  I go in for a leg check and come out pregnant."  They laugh.

Amanda grabs Beth's hand and drag her to her office.  The two ladies sit down and chit chat over a bottle of Pelligrino and just catch up.  Amanda has been commissioned to design a bag for Gucci and she sold a design to coach.  Her shirts are for sale in all Prada stores and she is slowly carving herself a niche in the design industry.  She's a force to be reckoned with and loves challenges.  Amanda tells Beth, "I'll start on the infant line in a few weeks.  Your little one can be all decked out in aunt Amanda's designs."  She laughs and slaps the desk, "How fucking cool is that?"  Both women laugh and like the idea.  The newest Bongiovi baby would look the coolest, of all newborns due next Spring.  A few more minutes of small talk and Amanda gets into the harder questions.  "How's your head?  How's Jon?  What's up with the divorce?  What's been going on?"

Beth gets comfy in her chair and starts with, "My head is fine.  No more problems.  Seen the neruo last week.  Jon is doing great, from what he tells me.  I haven't seen him in a couple of weeks.  The divorce is dragging ass, as I expected it would.  They live in separate houses now.  I have just been super busy at work and now this............, I don't know that I'll ever catch a break."  And Beth laughs.  She's very blessed and she knows it, she just wishes that the trials that are continually thrown her way would stop - even if for a little while.

Having spent a couple hours of Amanda's valuable time, she stands to leave.  As she's bending over to get her purse, she can hear her cell phone ring.  Digging in and finding it, she sees it Jon.  She answers it, and as she's walking out to leave, she tells Amanda, "Bye hun, I love you.  I call you." And she leaves Amanda's shop. "Hey babe, how are you?"  She asks the father of her baby. 

"Did I interrupt something?  Sounds like this is a bad time?" he says, kicking wharf wood at the pier.  He's at the helipad, getting ready to go to Philly for the press conference. 

"No, I was just leaving Amanda's shop.  I stopped there after the doctor.  What are you doing?" she's walking to her car and is loving the sun on her face.  No one knows who she is today, she's liking that.

"What did the doctor say?  Is your cast off?" he waits for her answers.  Hoping all is well, in the leg and ankle of Beth.

"Yep, took pictures, everything is right like it's supposed to be.  He gave me an aircast, and said to only use it when walking.  No running, hiking, biking.....the stuff I love to do." She lets out a pout and he can picture it.

"I miss you so much!  I'm glad it's healed nicely.  There's lots of time for all of your outdoor activities.  Don't worry about that.  Are you going into work today?" he's just talking to hear her voice.  Whether she goes to work or not, he doesn't care, as long as she's happy. 

"No, I don't think I am.  I had a long morning, I think I'll go home and work on that patio.  Maybe plant some flowers, some Gerbera Daisies for Brian.  Clean it up, and then we can use it more when you're here." she can't wait for him to come back, she has something to tell him, and she's dying to get it out.  But, she will not do it over the phone.  She wants to see his face when she tells him.

Jon has no issues with her planting flowers for Brian, that just solidifies why he loves her so much.  She has a heart of gold and is always thinking of others, before herself.  She is a one of a kind, and she is his.  He loves her, heart and soul.  "Daisies are nice, are the Gerbera the big ones in the cool colors?"

"They are, and they're pretty hearty.  They can go a few days without water.  What are you doing after your press conference?"

It hits Jon, he forgot to tell her about the interview that he gave today, so he quickly gives her the run down on that.  Reassured her that everything is okay, but he wanted to clear the air, with everyone!  He hasn't looked or heard if the interview hit the wire yet, but he imagines that it has.  Information like that doesn't sit under wraps for too long. 

He sees the pilot board the helicopter, so that's his cue that he has to leave.  From the city to Philadelphia is a quick little hop and it's just so much easier and quicker if he flies in and flies back out.  "Babe, I gotta go.  The chopper is ready.  Do you want me to call you later, after this press conference?" he doesn't want to hang up.  He would talk all day, since they couldn't be together.

Beth is sitting in her car, on the phone with Jon.  Without thinking, she nods yes, while telling him yes.  "I would like that, but only if you're up to it."  She doesn't want him staying up late or not doing things just so he can call her.  She wants to FIT into his life, not BE his life.

"I'll call you tonight, Dot has the kids.  I have a funny story to tell you, but I gotta go babe."

"Ok, until next time, I love you Jon."

"I love you too, baby.  Until next time."  and Beth's phone goes dead.  She sits there in the parking lot for a minute, wondering what the funny story might be. 

Beth made her way toward home, after stopping at the pharmacy to fill her prescription for prenatal vitamins.  When she had them in hand, she decided to call her doctor and make an appointment as soon as possible.  The scheduler was able to get Beth in yet today, if she could make it there before 2pm, and Beth could.  She was just a few miles away from the doctor's office, "I'm right around the corner, do you have anything sooner available?"  she asks, hoping she can get in and get a second 'opinion', secretly, she wanted another 'you're pregnant'.  The nurse tells her to come in and they would squeeze her in.  And that's just what Beth did.  She drove right there, and waited about 20 minutes and was called back into a room.

Another positive urine test and Beth couldn't smile any bigger.  The butterflies were able to multiply and the anxiety was the same.  She was beginning to like the sound of  'you're preganant'.  She just wishes she could tell Jon.

Beth's doctor gave her an expected due date of April 29th and Beth was pleased.  The ladies sat there and talked for a while and the doctor told Beth that she was able to over see her OB care, as she was licensed.  Beth liked that idea, since Dr. Jones has been Beth's doctor since she's been in L.A. 
 
"Should I be overly worried about the vicodin and the warfrin I had to take a few weeks back?"  Beth asks the doctor.  The doctor flips through Beth's cart.
 
"Your doses were small and it doesn't look like you could have taken many vicodin, since  you were only prescribed 10 of them.  I think you'll be fine.  I'll see you again in 3 weeks, just to be sure.  I'll take some measurements and we'll have a better look."
 
"I was given prenatals from the doctor that took my cast off, do you want me to take those?" Beth has a million questions.
 
Dr. Jones nods her head and says "Yes, take those and add a folic acid to it.  Pregnant women need extra folic acid for various things.  One a day, with the vitamin.  And I'll see you back here in 3 weeks." Dr. Jones stands to leave and looks back at Beth.  "Go home and tell daddy that he's having a baby."  And she laughs.  Dr. Jones knows that Beth isn't married and that she's being linked to Jon Bon Jovi.
 
Beth laughs and says, "I think that's going to be the hardest part.  I'll see you in 3 weeks, Liz."  And Dr. Elizabeth Jones leaves the room.
 
Beth gathers her things and leaves herself.  She didn't want to go home just yet, so she stopped into the office.  Everyone at work was excited to see her without her hot pink cast on, and they all were glad she was able to walk more.

3 comments:

  1. I think Jon will be shocked in the beginning that she is pregnant but in the end he will be happy.
    Lol, don't know if Dorothea is going to like that Beth's due date is also Jon and Dorothea's wedding anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very astute about the anniversary date!!! Didn't see this twist coming for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pleasure and pain at the same time for me to already know about the baby.. :(

    ReplyDelete