Monday, April 1, 2013

Water Ch.55 - You Can Sleep While I Dream


Breakfast was over and the tray pushed back outside.  Stephanie was in a really good mood and that was pleasing to both Jon and Beth.  They were sitting with David finishing their coffee and juice when Stephanie asked, ""Why did you sleep on the covers dad?  Couldn't you sleep with Beth?" and there is a little giggle in her words.


"Alright, that's my cue to leave, I'll see you guys downstairs." said David as he slapped his knees and stood up.  He didn't want to be there for that conversation.  "Bye, ladies.  Jon." And out the door he went.

Jon didn't know what to say, other than to tell her the truth.  He's always promised that he would be honest with his kids, and no is no different.  "Well, Steph - Beth and I thought that it might make you uncomfortable if you seen us sleeping together, so we agreed to sleep in separate beds.  When I got out of the shower, she was already sound asleep so I just cuddled with her and dozed off.  That's why I was on the covers.  I wanted to be with Beth and I wanted you to be okay with us being together."

"Gee, thanks dad.  But that's a little silly.  I know you're together." Stephanie tells her dad, trying to sound older than she is, but Jon knows what size gloves to wear, and for now - he'll keep the kid gloves on.  She doesn't need too much too fast.

"We are just trying to do what's right, honey.  We don't want anything to confuse you or your brothers and we want to be honest about it all."  Jon clarifies with Stephanie and he knows its all for nothing.  She will see what she wants, and she sees things pretty clear. 

Getting up off the bed she slept in, Beth excuses herself and goes over to Stephanie's room, but not without Jon stopping her.  "Hey, where are you going?" he reaches out for her hand and grabs it.

"I"m going to go to Stephanie's room to get a flight home, I didn't want to interrupt your conversation.  Please continue."  Beth says very matter of fact, which should have told Jon to leave it alone.  But oh no, he's Jon.

"I told you I would get you home.  We have talked about this." he says with no room for discussion, he thought.

"Jon, I can get myself home. Excuse me." she pulls her hand away and goes into Stephanie's room.  She could hear Jon and Steph talking, but she wasn't able to make out what they were saying, it was none of her business anyway.

She called the travel department of Deloitte and had Julie put her on an evening flight to L.A. out of La Guardia.  Julia would call her later with the details.  It was handled.  Beth was a big shot in her world, and today she used that fact. 

Going back in her room, Beth told Jon that she has a flight this evening out of LaGuardia, letting him know so they could get back down to New York, she had stuff at her apartment she needed to get.

Jon was pissed and Stephanie knew that.  "Beth, dad would have flown you home, ya know?"  She gets up to go get cleaned up so they could head out.  Leaving Beth alone with her pissed off dad. 

"I told you last night that I would take you home." he reminds her.

"There is no reason for you to take me home, Jon - I can get myself home."  Beth is feeling like she needs to defend herself.  Is this really going to be this big of a problem, on the last day that they see each other in God knows how long?

"I can get you there faster, with less headache."  he defends himself.

Beth is not wanting to argue or prove whoever right, she just wanted to ensure that she was getting home.  She had alot to do before the Bahama's and she just wanted to get home.  This way it was on her schedule, her time and her terms.

"Jon, I have a flight, let's just enjoy the day, okay.  I'm jumping in the shower unless you want to go in first?"  she says,  and she's hoping the tone in her voice is enough to make him stop.  She's not a kept woman and she really doesn't want to be treated like one.  Yes, his plane could have done it quicker and probably a little more comfortable, but its principle now.

"You go ahead.  I need to make a few calls."  He tells her, and he's fibbing.  He has one call to make.  Just one.

Beth gathers what she needs for the shower, remembering that she can't parade around naked because Stephanie is with them, so she has practically her whole bag with her. 

In the shower, she can hear Jon talking to someone.  At times he's loud and times he's not.  She has no idea who he was talking to or even what it was about.

A few minutes later, the bathroom door opens and she hears, "Hey!"

"What?"

"Can I join you?" he asks with the innocence of a child in his voice.

"No you can't.  Get out of here." she demands.  He can't sleep in the same bed as her,  what makes him think he's going to be able to shower with her now?

"Ok, ok I'm going.  You can't blame a guy for trying."  he laughs as he walks out.  Beth finishes her shower and does all that she needs so she can free the bathroom up for Jon to use.  When she walks out with her hair in a towel, Jon is sitting there with Stephanie and Richie.  They are talking about the net show, which is Tuesday in Washington D.C.  Beth is a little embarrassed to let Richie see her like she is, but what can she do?  She puts her bag down and grabs her make up and blow dryer. 

Walking back into the bathroom to finish herself, Richie yells to her, "You're beautiful just the way you are!"

"Thanks Richie." she replies, not believing a word he's saying.  She knows she has a natural beauty about her, like all women do - but she like to accentuate the positives.  She does her hair and puts on her little bit of make up and she's all done.  The bathroom is all Jon's.

"There you go, it's your turn."  Walking by her rock star, she gives him a little kick and he tells her, "I'm going to shower when I get home.  The car is waiting."

Shocked because he never said anything, "How long has the car been waiting?"  she asked.

"About a half an hour, why?"

"Why didn't you tell me?  I would have hurried, Jon." she snaps at him, hating the thought that SHE held everything up.

"It's okay, he's paid whether he's moving or sitting.  Relax." he tells her, trying to lighten her up a little bit. 

"Well, I'm ready then." Beth puts her make up bag and blow dryer away, slips on her shoes and she's ready to go.  Stephanie is all packed and ready to go and Richie has his bag with him.  The only one not ready is Jon. 

Jon gets his stuff together and they all head down to the car.  David and Tico left already with Melanie, Tom and the rest of the direct staff.  All that was left up in Foxboro were the singer and the guitar player.  Fifty percent of the band.

The car ride to chopper was a quick one.  Most of it was done in silence.  The four of them got on the chopper and rode most of the way back in silence, even though Richie tried to be funny.  Richie always tries to lighten a mood. Stephanie had earphones in, she was in her own little world.  Jon and Beth were feeling the impending separation and neither liked it.  Neither knew how to act.

Touching down at LaGuardia was painless, as always.  There were 2 cars waiting for them when they got there.  One for Richie and the other for Jon and guests.  Before Richie got in his car, he said Goodbye to Beth and Stephanie and asked when he would see them again.  Both Beth and Stephanie said, "I don't know.'

Beth's response wasn't the one Richie expected, so he asked, "What do you mean you don't know?"

"Well, I'm off to the Bahama's tomorrow, so I don't know when I'll see you guys again,"  Beth tells Richie.

"The Bahama's?  What the hell for?"  The KOS asks.

"It's a mandatory retreat for Deloitte.  I have to go every year."  Beth tells him with no enthusiasm.  She doesn't want to leave Jon.  She really doesn't.

"Well, have fun and remember your sunscreen." he walks up and hugs his friend goodbye.  He then turns and tells Stephanie, "Good bye and be good."  She hugs and kisses her uncle Richie and he gets in his car.  He will see Jon the day after tomorrow.  Richie's car pulls away, then Jon and gang get into Jon's car. 

"Is he dropping me at my place?" Beth asks Jon, not knowing whether he is or isn't. 

"He can.  I thought you were going home with me."

"I left stuff at my house that I'll need back in L.A., that's all.  Plus my flight leaves at 7:00, so if he can drop me off, that would be great."  She can't believe that she is saying the words that she is, either. 

"We can drop Stephanie off and go to your place, will that be alright?  he asks, unsure of what to really say at this point.

"That's fine, but aren't you spending time with her?" Beth's biggest concern is coming between him and his children, she will never let him put her first.

"Nope, not today.  Mom is taking us shopping and then we're going to the Hampton's for 2 weeks.  No dad until he breaks from this leg."  Stephanie has a little grin on her face that tells Beth that there must be a boy in the Hampton's that she wants to see.  Beth winks at her, as to let her know what she's thinking.

Looking at Beth, Jon says, "Nope, the kids are going to be with their mother.  I need to drop Stephanie off because Dorothea is waiting for her."  Jon tells Beth what's going on, to the best of his ability.

A few minutes later, they are in front of Jon's SoHo apartment.  Stephanie, on her way out of the car, stops and gives Beth a hug.  "I'm so glad we got to hang out, I hope we can do it again soon.  And thanks for making my dad smile."  And out she goes.....Beth couldn't even tell her goodbye.  Beth was speechless.  Jon climbed out of the car and said, "That's my girl, I'll be right back."  Gives her a quick kiss and he's gone.

Beth is left alone in a car again, waiting.   

1 comment: