Saturday, October 26, 2013

Whater Ch. 216 - You Had Me From Hello


"I read your email. Thank you." He says to her when she answers her cell phone. "What are you doing?"


Beth smiles when she hears his voice.  He's only been gone for hours and she thinks it feels like days. "You don't want to know." She tells him.

"I don't huh?  Where are you?" He questions, hoping he can pick up on a clue as to what she's doing.

Beth gives him an evil like laugh and says, "I'm in your office, what are you doing?"

"Show starts in 20 minutes. What are you doing in my office so late?" He doesn't care that she's in there, it's just 11:30 there and he wonders why she isn't in bed.

"I'm looking at houses."

"Really? Houses, huh?" He's not in the least bit surprised. 

"There's a really nice one in Middletown, just a few miles away. Brand new, stick build and they only want 3.2 million." 

"How many bedrooms?" He asks

"Six plus a mother in law, above the garage."

"Bathrooms?"

"Seven, plus one in the pool house."

He gives her a sound like he's thinking, and then he asks her, "When are you going to look at it?"

"Tomorrow. How did you know I'd go look at it?" She wonders. Since they haven't talked about moving for a while, she thought he might get upset.

"Never hurts to look." He gives her a little chuckle, "plus, I know you. You'll kick yourself in the ass if you don't."

"You don't mind?"

"Babe, why would I mind? You can do whatever you want. I just ask that you don't enter into any contract until I get home."

"I won't." She assures him, knowing he would be upset if she did anything like that. She wouldn't need his money, she has plenty of her own but you don't make big decisions like that without consulting your partner.

Beth can hear a little noise in the background and she wonders what's going on, "What are you doing? Where are you at?"

"I'm outside catering smoking a cigarette, which is the last thing I need to do before a show." He exhales and she can hear it.

"I wish you would quit, again."

"I will." He tries to be honest with her and he will quit again. He never stops trying. "What are you and the kids doing for the weekend?" He asks her, forgetting that it was Dot's weekend to have the kids

"You haven't even been gone a full day and your asking what were going to do?  They are with their mother this weekend, I take it you forgot?"

"I did. I'm sorry.  What are you going to do?"

She's quiet for a moment, and he can hear her tapping her fingers on the desktop, "I thought I might go close the house up in New York, for the winter.  Bring home what I can." The more she tells him of the idea, the more she likes it.  "We haven't been up there for a while, it would be nice to get it taken care of before the snow falls."

"That will keep you busy half the day."

"I'll go slow."  In the background she can hear someone talking so she stops to make it easier for Jon to hear. Jon says "Okay, man." To whoever it was and then says, "Baby, I gotta go!"

"I figured as much. Will you call me tomorrow?

"If you promise to go to bed soon."

"Stop. I'm a big girl.  Call me tomorrow when you get up and around." she kind of asks him, but let's him know that she really wanted him to call.
 
"I will, babe.  I love you!"
 
"I love you too.  Have a great show and tell the boys I said hello, please."
 
"Will do. I gotta go - Obie needs me.  I love you."  And the phone goes dead.  Beth sits there at Jon's desk for a few minutes, lost in her own thoughts.  She's staring at the picture of Spencer and Rowan.  She reaches over and traces their outline with her finger and says to them, "We love you and miss you." 
 
After a few minutes of feeling sorry for herself she decides that she is going to take a hot bath with a glass of wine and put a period at the end of her personally sad day.  She loves that she's home with the kids, but she hates that Jon is gone.  She never thought that she would miss him as much as she was.
 

1 comment:

  1. I like how they know what the other person is thinking. Shows how intuned they are with each other.

    ReplyDelete