Friday, March 15, 2013

Water Ch. 28 - Love For Sale 2005

2005

It was early afternoon before they decided to get out of bed.  Rosita brought them enough breakfast to last the entire day, so they wouldn't need to get up for food - but it was sunny and Beth assumed they were in California.  She wanted to walk the grounds in the day light, to take in it's beauty and eat grapes right off the vine. 


She slithered out of bed, against Jon's wishes.  He was trying to hold her there, but she was a contortionist and able to break free of his inviting grasp.  She wanted to lay there with him all day and do naughty things with him and to his body, she also wanted to feel the sunshine on her face. 

When she got to her feet, she grabbed a robe that Jon told her was hanging in the closet and out it on.  She opens the french doors and let the breeze flow through the bedroom.  The daylight was a welcome sight, since she has been living in the darkness for the last couple of day. 

She grabbed a glass of water that was still on the breakfast tray and walked outside.  She was in nothing but a bathrobe and it felt amazing.  The cool breeze and the sunshine, her bathrobe flying open on occasion.  This place was paradise, the only thing missing was the warm ocean water and the white sandy beach.  Standing there with the sun warming her face, Jon sneaks up on her and hugs her from behind, kissing her on the neck and the cheek.

"Hey, do you want to make some wine today?" Jon asked her.  She liked the idea, she had never done that before.

"Weren't we supposed to be back in Vegas by noon today so you could catch your plane?"  she reminded Jon, he did forget.  He must be in love, he never forgets stuff like that.  Looking at her with a look that begs please don't be mad at me because we missed the charter plane, he says, "I'll get us home, I know people." 

"Well then, let's go make some wine.", she grabs his hand and they walk towards the house to get dressed.  Walking back in the french doors, they are surprised when they see a woman making the bed up.  Jon told her that she didn't need to do that and that she was free to go.  Beth said, "That was nice of you, I hope you don't think I'm going to make the bed."  She laughs.

"Knock it off." he shoulder bumps her.  They both head to the bathroom at the same time.  Beth looks at Jon and says, "You're either joining me or waiting for me, cause I'm showering now."  She hurries and turns the water on. 

"Well, if those are my options, I guess I'll join you unless you would rather that I didn't?"

"I would love for you to join me.  Seeing you these last 2 days after you have showered, really had my thoughts racing to what it would be like to shower with you."

Stepping into the shower, he takes her hand so that she doesn't slip.  Beth finds that to be sweet.  The shower was uneventful until they were done and ready to get out.  The maid took the dirty towels and Jon sent her away before she could replenish the towel supply.  Jonny got out and told her to stay put, he would go get towels.  He dried off quickly with a hand towel that was hanging there and put the robe on that Beth was wearing, and went in search of towels.  Yes, it's his house, but he's never showered there before

Where is the damn linen closet? he's thinking as he opens door after door in many hallways.  Shit, where are the towels?  I paid for the house to be furnished and set up.  Did they forget that I would need towels??  Dumb asses.  He goes in to the kitchen and finds Rosita and asks her where he can find towels.

"Mr. Bongiovi, the towels are in the bathroom closets, except in the master suite.  Your towels are in the walk in closet in your suite.  Along with your extra linens and blankets.  Would you like me to go pull some out for you?  she asks, with a swiftness.

"No, Rosita, I think  I can get it.  Thank you though."  He rubs her shoulder and walks away.

Jon goes back upstairs to the master suit and Beth is just standing there in the hot water, falling like rain onto her head.  She is relaxed and just waiting on a towel.  Jon asks her, "Do you need 2 towels?"

"I would prefer 2, but if there aren't enough - 1 will work." she responds, thinking that's an odd question.  Don't all women use 2 towels?

"Ok, here are 2.  For future reference, they are in the master walk in closet.  What a dumb place for towels, I guess I'll have that changed?" he tells her as he's towel drying his hair and running product through it.  He looks at his hair in the mirror and thinks to him self, I need a hair cut.  His hair is blond, a little blonder than normal, but he looks great.

Once they finish getting dressed and are ready to head out for the day, Beth reminds him that she needs to be back in LA tonight because she needs to get to NYC for work on Monday night.  He looks a little bummed when she reminds him.  But when reality sets in, he knows he has to get back to life too. 

They head to the winery and check it out.  It is a flutter with people, and many are buying the wine.  Jon has always wanted to own a vineyard and when he met Beth, those few weeks back, that's when he decided to do it.  He looked at it as 1) an investment and 2) an unknown retreat that he could use. 

Things with Dorothea were getting bad.  And things with Beth weren't helping the situation either.  Jon could not help himself and if he could, he wouldn't.  Jon wanted to be with Beth and he was going to make as much time for her as he could.  He would never put her before his children, but she definitely takes 2nd place.  In his heart and in his life.  The room for Dorothea was closing in on him, and he had about had enough. 

There is a room set up in the winery for guests to stomp grapes and make wine, should they choose.  Jon wanted to show Beth how much fun that was.  Walking into the room there is one couple in there stomping some grapes.  They look at Jon and Beth and they could see the wife saying 'that's Jon Bon Jovi'.  Jon takes Beth's hand and helps her into the vat of grapes.  The couple is still whispering.  They ignore it and Beth starts to enjoy herself stomping those grapes - but then it occurred to her.....what if this stains my feet?  She stops. "Jon, is this going to stain my feet?" she is almost in a panic.

"I don't know, it shouldn't.  Why are you worried about it?" he pokes fun at her.

"Jon, I'm a professional woman, I wear girly shoes.  I don't want purple feet!  Is it going to stain?" now she's getting upset because he is laughing at her.



"Well, maybe you should have picked white wine to stomp."  He is laughing so hard, he can hardly contain himself. 

The man that's next to them with the whispering wife, says "It does stain, but it wears off in about a day or so.  Don't worry.  Have fun."   Beth looks at the guy and believes him for some odd reason and goes back to stomping the grapes.

She grabs Jon's hand and pulled him closer, "Get in here with me, you're getting stained too."  Jon kicks off his flip flops and climbs up the stairs and gets in the vat with Beth.  The two of them get in there and have the time of their life.  Stepping on each others toes, almost falling out several times.  They were the only two people there, until they stopped and looked up.

There were many people standing at the stomping gallery doors and many were taking pictures.  Jon Bon Jovi grape stomping with a woman that wasn't his wife.  Damn it.  There were moments while they stomped that their behavior was that of a couple.  There was kissing and hugging and lots of playful banter between them.  Jon mumbled, "I can see the headlines now."

Beth whispers, "What do we do?"  she had no idea how to play this one off.  Broad daylight and they were clearly together.

"We stomp grapes, that's what we do.  This is our day, we are doing what we have planned.  I will keep press and people as far back as I can?  Don't worry about it."  He puts his arm around her and kisses her. 

They finish stomping and go in to clean off their feet and put their shoes back on.  They take a quick pass through the gift shop and Beth stops to buy some wine.  Jon says, "Um, what are you doing?"

"I'm buying some wine to take home, Amanda would love this blend."  She shows Jon the bottles that she has.

"You're not buying anything from here.  If that's what you want to take to Amanda, then take it." he isn't going to let her buy a damn thing.  It's his vineyard and if she wants something, she's taking it.

"Ok, I'll take these two bottles then.  Thank you.  I know she'll love it."  she sets them up on the counter so the cashier can package them for her, for air travel.  The cashier knows who Jon is, but doesn't know he now owns the place.  She just 'gives' them the wine.  They say thank you and leave. 

Beth takes his hand and says, "Do you mind if we take a walk?  I don't want the day to be done yet?  I don't want to go hide.  I would like to walk the vines and just be outside."  He doesn't put up a fight, he doesn't want to do anything other than be with her.  He knows their time is limited and he will do whatever he can to make her happy.  He wants to see her again.

He tells her, "We can do whatever you want to do.  The whole place is our to do with whatever we choose." as they head out to the back of the property, to where they can be alone.   Walking hand in hand and with no direction in mind, they walk - they talk.

"So, what happens to us now?" Beth wonders out load. "Where do you we go from here, Jon?  I have had the time of my life this weekend. And I guess I just want to know where you see this going?"  She pauses, actually afraid he may tell her that this is it.  They will never see each other again?!

He stops her and spins her to look her in the eye.  "Beth, I want this to go wherever you will let it go.  I have had a great weekend as well.  Hell, when I sang this weekend - knowing that you were in the crowd - those were my funnest and my best shows ever.  Oh my god, looking down and seeing you there in that black dress, dancing to my songs was the biggest rush I have had in years.  Knowing I would see you backstage, made it even better!!"  Putting a finger to his lips.......

She stops him and says the worst thing she could ever say to him, "You're married."  And for some reason, she just suddenly started to feel guilty.  She knew he was married, but to hear the words coming out of her mouth made it even more real.  She was sleeping with a married man.  She was so caught up in him, she never gave the consequences of her actions a thought.  She was sleeping with another woman's husband.  Beth felt a little sick.

"Why don't we head back to the house and talk about this.  Babe, it's really not as bad as you are thinking it is."  he tries to convince her.  They head to the house, with people flashing pictures.  Both are oblivious to it right now - they have something else on their minds.

Back at the house, Beth says, "Can we figure out how we're getting out of here?  I need to get back to L.A.  I have a big day tomorrow." 

"I'll get you home in plenty of time, can we talk about this, please?  Please sit down."  He pulls out a chair at the dining room table and she sits down.  He pulls out a chair next to hers and sits down.  Grabs one of her hands and says, "My marriage is over, Beth." 

"What do you mean, over?" she asks him.    She's hoping that the definition means the same to both of them.

"I have filed for divorce, now it's the waiting game.  Dorothea and I have been apart for awhile now, we just agreed to keep it out of the press.  My own mother doesn't even know yet.  Well, I'm sure she knows something is up - since we have been spotted together all weekend." 

Beth was baffled that he hadn't told his mom of his pending divorce, yet touched that she's the first he's told.  But it raises questions for her.  "Jon, what do you tell people about me?  Like Richie and the rest of the band?" 

With his hand still holding hers, he confesses that he tells Richie everything.  And the rest of the band know what's going on - only in the aspect that they know Jon and that Jon is making changes.  Jon doesn't typically INVITE people back stage at shows - that was clue #1 for the boys.  Jon does the backstage stuff out of obligation.  "Beth, I don't think you realize how I feel and what I think of you.  And I don't think there are words to explain it to you.  All I can say, is let me show you."  She can see he is dead serious.

"I have not questioned how you feel or what you think of me.  And I can't see where I would ever question that, but Jon, I am the other woman." Beth is not liking the words that are coming out of her mouth, specially since she is talking about herself.  She is the classic home wrecker, in her mind.  "Why did you file for divorce?"  Asked, now will he answer?

"What do you know about me, other than what we have talked about?"  he asks.  He figures he'll dispel what she's heard before he gives her new information.  Kind of wipe the slate clean and then add new information.

"Well, I can't say I've heard alot.  Or if I have, I don't remember it.  I do remember that you dated Diane Lane before you married Dorothea, right? You told me about the kids.  I can't think of anything Jon, tell me what I need to know."  She's feeling like she is on trial here.

"I married my high school sweetheart, I haven't been the perfect husband - when I was younger, I was a bad boy.  Never got into drugs and at one time I had a drinking problem.  That came when success showed up.  My kids came along and I make it a point to be a model parent.  My kids know I am not perfect, the older ones know my history as well as their mother's.  She has not been perfect, nor an angel.  What I'm trying to tell you is....." he gets up to pace.  He does that when he thinks or feels like he needs to take his time and explain things.  "Dorothea and I have grown apart and there isn't any logical reason for us to stay married.  We never see one another, there is no trust and quite honestly, I am no longer in love with her.  I can't stay in the marriage any longer."  He's getting frustrated because he can put words to paper better than he can face to face.  He struggles with passion, that can sometimes come across as anger.  "Beth, I think you came into my life at the right time.  I was struggling with some decisions I needed to make and honestly - when I laid eyes on you backstage in L.A. - everything was clear.  I made some professional decisions, some personal decisions and some spiritual decisions.  I am amazed at what meeting you has done for me.  I know, it sounds silly.  But I'm telling you, it all came very clear."  He's pacing still, but he's smiling now.  He feels good telling her all of this.  "The day after I met you, I filed for divorce and I have not second guessed the decision once."

Beth is listening to every sound he is making.  Part of her is thinking this is a little weird, but possible.

"I am divorcing Dorothea because I am very unhappy whenever I am around her.  We have talked about it, she actually flew out here a couple of days ago and we are doing this amicably, believe it or not. She doesn't want a divorce, but if it's really what I want - she's not going to fight it.  Now we just need to work out all the details - who gets what, that kind of stuff."  Will it really be that easy?

She has to know, "What makes you so unhappy when you are around her, Jon?  What's happened?"  Beth is thinking that there might be one thing, maybe two things that's gone on to make him want this divorce SO bad.  But he's not divulged anything in particular. 

"It's just a culmination of things over the years, and nothing we need to get into now.  Our time is limited and I don't want to waste it talking about Dorothea.  I just wanted you to know that my marriage is over and there is no chance of reconciliation.  I am done being married to her."  He makes the motion like he is washing his hands and finishes with, "I'm done."

Beth watches him and her heart skips a beat.  She actually feels a little better about the situation now that they have talked, but she knows it won't go so easy.  Who would let this man walk out of their life?  she shakes her head in wonder.

"Ok, enough of the heavy stuff - we have to get out of here.  I need to make a few calls.  I'm going to go out on the deck, want to join me?"  he asks grabbing a bottle of wine and 2 glasses?

"Looks like you have made up my mind already.  I just have to go to the bathroom, I'll be right out."  she tells him and disappears into the bathroom.  He walk outs on the deck and calls his trusty pilot friend.  And luck would have it he's up in the valley and can get Jon and Beth to Vegas.  Why Vegas?  That's where they left the rest of their stuff.  From Las Vegas, Beth has to go to L.A. and Jon has to get to New York. 







 

1 comment:

  1. Stomping grapes with Jon sounds like a great way to spend the day together.

    Kind of interesting how Jon looks at his marriage.

    More please!

    ReplyDelete