Thursday, March 21, 2013

Water Ch. 39 - On Any Other Day 2005

 

Walking into his office, before turning on the lights - he could see city lights for miles.     It was a beautiful thing to see.   He stood there for a few minutes in a daze, kind of like a daydream.  Snapping out of it, he grabs his cigarettes, phone and his bottle of water and steps out on the small patio.  It wasn't very big, but it was big enough for him to sit there and chill for a few minutes.

Dialing her number, he's thinking it 9 o'clock out there, I wonder if she'd still up? 

"I've been expecting your call."  He can hear the smile in his voice.  It was like music to her ears.

"Sorry, I'm calling so late.  Richie and Ava just left to go to Richie's moms.  I would have called sooner." He is really hoping that it's not too late.

"No, this is fine.  I just got everything done I needed to get done, with the exception of watering my patio plants.  But I can do that while talking.  How was the show?"  She asks with great enthusiasm.

"The show was good, it was alot of fun.  It was nice knowing the kids had fun."  He tells her, thinking about Romeo and the fun he had.  The bigger kids wore him out.  Jon's just sitting there, smiling.

"I'm glad you had a good night, and some time with your kids.  What do you have on your agenda tomorrow?" Making conversation, she hopes she's not being to personal?  And then she corrects herself, you've had sex wit him, ask him anything you want.

"All that I can remember that I have to do is an interview at NBC in the morning and a photo shoot tomorrow afternoon.  There's stuff in between, I'll get all the information from Dawn in the morning."  Dawn is Jon's personal assistant.  His walking day planner.  He would be lost without her. 

"A photo shoot?  I've always thought they looked like fun." playing with the man on the other end of the line. 

"They can be fun, it depends on the photographer and what we're being photographed for.  Tomorrow it's just album promotion, so it will be quick and easy."  He tells her.  "I know there's another interview in there somewhere."

"It's good that you'll have a full day.  Busy is good.  Will you get to see the kids again?" 

"Busy is good, it takes my mind off of other things and keeps my kind of focused.  The kids, I don't think I 'll see them tomorrow afternoon, my mom wanted them for something.  Crap, I forgot to tell Dot...."  He's making a mental note to call his soon to be ex and remind her of that.

"So you'll have a busy day - that's good.  My day is pretty full tomorrow too.  At the office all day and then a cocktail party tomorrow night.  We have a new client and the bosses want to roll out the red carpet.  I am so not looking forward to it."  she tells him and he can hear her tone is that of someone that doesn't like cocktail parties.
 
"Parties are fun, dress up and enjoy yourself."  He's now laughing at her, because  he knows she doesn't want to go. 
 
"It's not that I hate parties, I just hate going alone.  Plus, when you go out to have a good time - do you really want to talk about work?  I don't." 
 
"Well, then don't go."  offering her the suggestiion, letting her know she has free will.  She doesn't HAVE to go.
 
"No, I'll go - it's my client and Josh, my boss thinks it's imperative that I be there, and he's probably right." sounding defeated, she chuckles and says, "Yeah, I'm going to a cocktail party."
 
"Let's change the subject.  What did you do tonight?" he wonders what she did wit ther evening, she knew all about his.
 
"Not much, a little laundry, cleaned the bathrooms and changed my linens - I just puttered around keeping busy.  I even had Bon Jovi playing on the stereo."  He can hear her smile again.  And that makes him smile.
 
"You like that band?" he razzes her, "I think they suck.  The lead singer is old." HE laughs.  "I can't talk to a woman that like that band."
 
"Well, I think the lead singer is kind of cute, and their music isn't the greatest - but I had to give it a shot."
 
"Which album were you listening to?"
 
"Slippery When Wet, why?" 
 
"Ehh, not out best work.  But it's one of my favorites." Trying to not sound conceded, he confesses, "I think out best is New Jersey"
 
"New Jersey is my favorite, hands down.  Wild Is The Wind is my favotite song." She feels a little embarrased, here she is telling a rock star, that she has slept with, what her favorite song is, of his.  Sounding a little groupie, she thought. 
 
"That song is one of my favorites, and lyrically one of my best.  I'm glad you like it." 
 
She hears him yawning and suddenly she felt a little selfish.  It was late in New York and he has to be exhausted. 
 
"Hey, you should get to bed.  You need to be looking pretty tomorrow for your interview and your shoot."  Getting off the phone is the last thing she wants to do.
 
"You're probably right, but I just want to talk to you." he says, with a little whine.
 
"We can talk tomorrow, you should get to bed Jon.  Call me tomorrow, okay?" trying to not sound bummed they were hanging up.
 
"Okay, I'll call you tomorrow between this and that."
 
"Sounds good.  Can't wait.  Call me at my office or on my cell."  She wants him to know that it's okay to call whenever.  She will make time for him.

"Until next time."  Now she can hear the smile on his face.

"Until next time, have a great night."

And they hung up the phone. 
                                




















 

8 comments:

  1. Lol, the phone conversation was cute especially the part about the lead singer being old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'm confused...I thought they went to the loft in Soho last chapter, but now they're in Jersey?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a sucky excuse. Story is really contradictory. Pay attention

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anonymous! Appreciate the feedback

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're doing a great job! Keep it coming!!
    Hey Anonymous - feedback is one thing but you don't have to be rude about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this story and want it to keep coming quickly, but it is rather hard to read and follow. Can't imagine doing it on a phone. That sounds so hard to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess I'm confused lol. Where did it say they were in Jersey? I see it says "It was late in New York..."...unless you corrected it already. I am loving this story so much. Sometimes I have to go back a chapter or two to see what was going on in another year, so I can keep up in the new chapters. The going back and forth mixes me up a little if I don't refresh myself but that's not your fault. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets easier to read, it eventually goes to one time period. THANK YOU for reading and thank you for your feedback!

      Delete